Monday, April 18, 2011 | By: Deb

BANGKOK AND KUALA LUMPUR


Twin Petronas Towers
 I've had a busy couple days, Bangkok yesterday and Kuala Lumpur today...especially so after spending so many days just lounging at the beach!

In Bangkok first off I made my way to the train station to try and get a refund for that cancelled train ticket...I was thinking it was probably 50/50 and wasn't counting on it but they refunded all my money with no problem so that was great. I went shopping in the afternoon/early evening at the weekend market and bought a whole ton of those cheapo watches I'm always wearing that everyone I know covets so now I can give a bunch away when I get back! I even got my fill of Mango and sticky rice (my fav thai dessert!) from the street vendors, yum!! My feet were sooo sore after all the walking I did but it was late and no foot massage places were anywhere near me so I sadly skipped the much needed foot massage.

Handful of yummy rambutins!


Bangkok Siam BTS station

HUGE MKB mall, Bangok knows how to do malls well!


My Favorite: mango and sticky rice
 Woke up early today to fly to Kuala Lumpur... Bangkok finally opened their airport rail link train a few months ago so I decided to forgo the taxi and try it out as the BTS station was steps from my hostel...it's slick! I'll definitely use it again and it only cost a couple dollars. I also finally made use of the fact that my suitcase can be converted to a backpack...I thought I 'd use it more when I bought it but have never had to until today: between taking the train to Bangkok airport and navigating Kuala Lampur it finally came in very handy and I was very grateful for it.

I made my way into Kuala Lumpur early this afternoon...I was shocked that their airport was so crappy. I wasn't expecting that at all...until I learned that I wasn't at the International Airport, I was in the low cost carrier airport that Air Asia and the other low-cost airlines use. Even their monorail and LRT trains though are run down and a little dirty, again I was expecting something on par with Bangkok which has fancy, clean trains with wide screen TV's playing in the train and on the platform.

My new fake watches.

So much fruit!


Street vendors.
 
Best fake stuff shopping EVER! Petaling Market Kuala Lumpur.

I did a little power sightseeing while I was here. I went to Chinatown where they have a night market that sounded cool....and wow, this is THE place to buy designer fake stuff...CHEAP. Everything you can wish for or imagine re-created fake and selling here for cheap. Any style watch, clothing, shoes, wallets, bags/purses, DVDS, rows of fake Tiffany necklaces...name it, it was here. Too bad I have limited packing space! I did buy 4 watches(puts the Thailand ones to shame!) I got a fake fossil, 2 fake swatches and a fake esprit...shoulda bought more! haha, but I gotta draw the line somewhere. They have great street vendors here too and this is seriously the land of fruit. Stalls everywhere with EVERY type of fruit in existence selling little packs with a serving for about 30cents...I tried a bunch of fruit I've never tasted before. Jack fruit is my fav so far.

After shopping, I discovered a massage place that called my name and sucked me in...my feet were so sore! I got an hour foot massage which was so good I had the girl give me a 30min back,neck,shoulder,scalp massage too! 1.5hrs of spa treatment left me feeling great. I headed for the twin Petronis Towers...can't come here and not see them. Unfortunately, you can't get to the observation deck that links the 2 towers without a ticket and they only give a few out very day in the morning...but it was still cool to see and they were very huge (they were the tallest buildings in the world from 1998-2004).






Well, I am exhausted. Tomorrow I left at 6am to head to the airport as it takes 1.5hrs to get there by transit. I have a 9:30am flight into Kuching where I 'll be spending 3 days in the rain forest at a homestay. I have no idea if there will be Internet or not so if you don't here from me for a few days don't panic... I'm in the jungle!

0 comments:

Post a Comment