Tuesday, April 5, 2011 | By: Deb

LUANG PRABANG DAY 2


Views of Luang Prabang from top of Phu Si Hill.
 I am in Bangkok right now overnighting at an airport hotel before I head to Ko Phangan tomorrow morning.  I decided to go after all, the weather is looking better and rearranging things was both making my brain hurt and was getting to be expensive. I can't take the night train I planned on as they are still cancelled due to flooding on the tracks near Surat Thani but the Ko Samui airport is back up to normal so I booked a flight instead. Hoping for OK weather, at least a little sun here and there and hopefully no full days of rain. Worst case scenario I can fly out early.

Laos was a beautiful country and I really enjoyed travelling there. My last day in Luang Prabang was spent walking around town, checking out some sights and having a last meal of Lao food in a charming little restaurant overlooking the Mekong river. Lao food is good, very different from both Thai and Vietnamese. They eat everything with sticky rice. You eat with your hands by taking a mouthful of sticky rice in your hand rolling it into a ball and using it to scoop up a bite of food. The big dish here is Laap: minced meat (usually beef) mixed with chopped mint and bean sprouts in a mild spice. They use a lot of mint in their cooking.





View from Phu Si hill.



These guys look like they're posing for a class photo.



I'm off to bed, early flight tomorrow!

1 comments:

Post a Comment